Sunday, November 17, 2013

The great chase [November 13th]

Expected the usual observations today, but it wasn't long before I caught the conversion of my fellow observers, "you can see it without the microscope". Was somewhat curious as to what they were talking about. Heard a few of them say something about a Cyclops, but I couldn't be sure . . . that is, until Dr. McFarland confirmed that what I was seeing was indeed a Cyclops. While some observers were able to easily spot and document their Cyclops, I wasn't able to. The Cyclops in my micro aquarium seemed to be constantly moving. The longest I would be able to observe them would be 2-3 seconds. At times I would be unable to spot the cyclops without my microscope as usual. Then I would tap on my micro aquarium, spot a Cyclops, and then see if I could track it on the microscope. I believe the Cyclops were also sensitive to the light of the microscope. Chasing down the Cyclops took up every bit of my observation time, but it was a nice challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment